Today's Times attempts to confirm what has been long expected... the return of William Hague to frontline Tory politics. The Times predicts that Mr Hague (pictured with his 2001 shadow cabinet) may become Shadow Chancellor. If that happens the obvious move for the current occupant of that position - George Osborne - is to the Chairmanship of the Party. Every party leader needs a close lieutenant in such a key position and Mr Osborne, Mr Cameron's leadership campaign manager, is the obvious candidate... although Francis Maude's interest in a more open Conservative Party might keep him at CCHQ. The other very key position where loyalty to the leader is vital is Shadow Chief Whip. Patrick McLoughlin (the current deputy) may fill that position although Oliver Heald and Peter Luff are other candidates.
The Times does not expect Ken Clarke to return.
Who would you put - or expect to be - in the top jobs?
I'm assuming that David Cameron will win the leadership election but it's still not too late to vote in our run-off prediction competition....
If you would like to play ConservativeHome's Fantasy Shadow Cabinet you need to fill the current positions...
- Shadow Chancellor:
- Shadow Home Secretary:
- Shadow Foreign Secretary:
- Chief Whip:
- Theresa May's role:
- Iain Duncan Smith's role:
- Ken Clarke's role:
- David Davis' role:
- Oliver Letwin's role:
- Deputy Leader:
- Head of Policy Development:
- Biggest promotion awarded to (state who and to where):
- Biggest sacking from shadow cabinet:
- Most surprising appointment (state who and to where):
The rules are simple...
- The Editor's decision is final - so I decide which is the biggest sacking or promotion, for example...
- Only one name/position for each of the questions...
- If you put David Davis as your Shadow Home Secretary you must then put Shadow Home Secretary next to DD's role...
There will be 1 point for every correct answer... You can also get one point for correctly saying "No role" for IDS or "There won't be one" for Deputy Leader, for example...
Do not use this thread to open a discussion - In order to avoid clutter I'll delete entries that aren't fantasy shadow cabinet lists. You have been warned!
PS Have you taken part in ConservativeHome's exclusive new survey of Tory opinion?