The Leader of Hammersmith & Fulham Council, Stephen Greenhalgh, has won a vote of thousands of Conservatives on Local Hero of Year 07/08.
His colleague Mark Loveday who was one of the people to nominate Stephen:
- After taking control of Hammersmith last year for the first time in a generation, the local Conservatives immediately put Conservative principles into practice.
- A 3% Council Tax cut in the first year (the biggest in the country by far) and a stated intention to cut again next year. On ConHome people discuss the theory of lifting the burden of taxation - in Hammersmith this is already happening.
- Service standards improved from a three star to a maximum four star official rating.
- Cracking down on crime with the only New York-style 24 hour Council funded police teams in the UK in our town centres.
The other two people shortlisted for this award were Cllr Peter Golds OBE for his service to the Conservative Party in London, and Zac Goldsmith for his referendum campaign against a Sainsburys superstore.
* More than 8000 people voted on the ConservativeHome Movement Awards. The previous award announced was Parliamentarian of the Year, which went to Michael Fallon.