A quick profile of Mike Freer MP
Date of birth: 29/5/60
Constituency: Finchley and Golders Green
Areas of interest and expertise:
- Reducing cost of Central Government
- Local Government Reform.
Distinguishing career milestones: (including education, jobs, positions and offices held):
- Reform of Barnet Council (dubbed EasyCouncil)
- Local Government funding initiatives (Barnet Financing Plan) that informed policy on New Homes Bonus & Business Rate retention.
Greatest source of political pride: (could be swing, legislation passed, involvement in a campaign): Securing criminalisation of squatting for residential properties in conjunction with Mike Weatherley MP.
Political hero and why:
Margaret Thatcher – her ability to grasp what needed to be done, stick to the course and, importantly, connect directly to the public.
Inspiring political quote:
“I will not change just to court popularity” - Thatcher
What advice would you give to a young politician?:
Get your hands dirty with a job in business/commerce and put some money behind you.
10 QUICK Q&A
- Do you support gay marriage? Yes
- At how many weeks of pregnancy should abortion become illegal? As now
- Should we legalise assisted dying? No
- At some point drugs like cannabis should become legal? No
- In, out or reform of Europe? Reform or out
- Favourite US president? Reagan
- Who is likeliest to be next Tory PM - Boris or one of the 2010 intake?neither
- English votes for English laws? No, a UK Parliament for the UK
- Will America, China or India be the most powerful nation by 2050? China
- You have to increase taxes on high value properties, air travel or tobacco? Which one? Tobacco
Follow Mike on Twitter.