In a remarkable speech this morning (still going as I write) Nick Clegg has set out the fundamental first steps of the great repeals this new Government intends to bring about, with a pledge to bring "an end to spying on people:"
- ID cards out
- Biometric passports stopped
- No e-mail control without specific need
- CCTV regulated
- Innocent people off the DNA database
- No ContactPoint
- No fingerprints taken from children by schools without parental consent
- Removal of restrictions on right to peaceful protest
- Review the thousands of criminal offences created by New Labour which made criminals of ordinary people
- Review of the anti-terror powers. Back to "great British freedoms."
- Defend trial by jury.
OK we need details. But this is great stuff.