In the wake of today's revelations that Gordon Brown has been denying any plan for 10% public spending cuts while the Government has been planning exactly that, here is a selection of quotes: some were uttered by Gordon Brown, others came from the lips of Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, the former Iraqi Information Minister.
But can you work out who said what?
1. "I can assure you that those villains will recognize, will discover in appropriate time in the future how stupid they are and how they are pretending things which have never taken place."
2."We have them surrounded in their tanks."
3. "The first thing we are absolutely sure of is that, regardless of economic circumstances, employment, investment and inflation, the Conservatives will cut expenditure by 10%. The right hon. gentleman said it himself last week - Tory cuts versus Labour investment."
4. "We will welcome them with bullets and shoes."
5. "The issue is that the Conservatives will cut current expenditure in real and cash terms. It is exactly what I said - Tory cuts, Labour investment."
6. "We are in control. They are in a state of hysteria. Losers.”
7. "It is vital that people realise they face a choice between our commitment to investment and the Tories' commitment to cuts."
8. “We have placed them in a quagmire from which they can never emerge except dead”
9. "They're not even within 100 miles [of Baghdad]. They are not in any
place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are
trying to sell to the others an illusion."
10. "We are investing to get ourselves out of the recession; the Opposition would cut, and they would make the recession last longer. That would lead to higher debts and higher deficits that would have to be spent for. As for spending beyond 2011, the right hon. Gentleman knows the truth: he wants to spend less - 10% less in most Departments - whereas we want to spend more."
11. "Their failure in this regard is abysmal. They want to tell taxpayers and the domestic public to keep them deceived. We will embroil them, confuse them and keep them in the quagmire. They have begun to tell more lies so that they might continue with the perpetration of their crimes. May they be accursed."
12. "Total spending will continue to rise, and it will be a zero per cent rise in 2013-14."
13. "Our estimates are that none of them will come out alive unless they surrender to us quickly."
“14. I always tell the truth”