Immigration, Chris Huhne and Top Totty ale feature in our 5pm news round up
- Damian Green promises immigration shake-up so only brightest and best can enter Britain - BBC
- Migrants seeking permission to enter Britain must prove they will ‘add to the quality of life’ and not become ‘dependent’ on state support - Daily Mail
- Damian Green talks to Andrew Neil.
VERDICT ON HUHNE
- The Crown Prosecution Service will announce on Friday at 10am whether it will press charges against Chris Huhne - BBC
- Westminster is alive with speculation about what will be announced tomorrow including this Tweet from The Express' Patrick O'Flynn: "My instinct says Huhne will get off. Odd 2 do "show trial" announcement if charges are 2 follow given current sensitivities over due process".
- If Huhne is forced out of the Cabinet I expect Ed Davey to replace him and Norman Lamb to take Davey's place in the Business Department - Nick Robinson
- Guido Fawkes speculates that Ed Davey or Jeremy Browne will be likeliest beneficiaries if Huhne resigns.
- Gary Gibbon's blog reads like a political obituary already: "For all the public argy-bargy with Tories (he was the man who most piled into Andy Coulson in opposition), he was also the senior Lib Dem who, behind the scenes, argued longest and hardest that full coalition had to be the Lib Dem preference after the 2010 election."
- Top Totty ale is pulled from Commons bar after complaint from Labour MP, Kate Green (pictured) - Guardian
- "Strangers Bar - aka The Kremlin - has a different guest beer each week. Top Totty is brewed by Slaters in Stafford and was nominated to be a guest beer by the town’s Conservative MP Jeremy Lefroy." - Joe Murphy
- Female Labour MPs like Miss Green need to do themselves a favour by lightening up and picking their battles more carefully - Kirsty Walker
- UKIP asccuses Kate Green of being a dour-faced, insult-searching misery - PoliticsHome
- "Forget the deficit, Fred the Shred and bankers' bonuses - the big political scandal today is Tottygate. Commons bosses have been forced to withdraw Top Totty beer after Labour MP Kate Green said it was offensive to women. It had been on sale for a week and was, by all accounts, very popular. Good to know our MPs are getting to grips with the big issues." - The Sun's Kevin Schofield
MINISTERS REFUSING TO APPEAR ON MEDIA, DESPITE DOWNING STREET REQUESTS - Benedict Brogan
INDIAN TRADE DEAL
- Cameron needs better links with the Gandhi family if Britain is to win trade deals with India - Nick Watt
- If we want to increase trade with India we need to get closer to the EU - John Stevens
- British aid to India was once an admirable, benevolent gesture. But to carry on giving aid is a colossal failure to understand how the country has changed - Mihir Bose in the Evening Standard
- Owen Jones at LabourList attacks David Miliband as part of Labour's "Surrender Tendency"
- Ed should listen to David on welfare benefits - Nick Wood
- Conservatives have restored support among women voters - Guardian
- The IFS’s verdict on Labour’s deficit argument is in – and it ain’t pretty - Nick Thornsby
- Janet Daley explains why she refuses to appear on BBC1's Question Time - Telegraph
- The head of the Student Loans Company will have tax and National Insurance payments deducted from his £182,000 pay package in future, ministers say - BBC
- William Hague visits Somalia - Telegraph video